Contents of your meal kit:
cilantro vinaigrette base
black bean patty seasoning
Cookware needed: 2 mixing bowls, foil-lined baking sheet, shallow dish, medium or large nonstick skillet
- Preheat oven to broil. In a mixing bowl, toss slaw mix with cilantro vinaigrette base and a little salt & pepper. Roughly chop cilantro leaves and stems and add to the bowl with slaw mix. Set aside.
- Slice tomatoes in half. Roughly chop jalapenos. Place together on one side of a foil-lined baking sheet. Place corn on the other side of the sheet. Drizzle everything with olive oil, and season with salt & pepper.
- When broiler is hot, place baking sheet in the oven and broil 2-4 minutes until the corn is golden. Turn and continue broiling another 2-4 minutes or until tomatoes are charred.
- When corn is cool enough to handle use a sharp knife and carefully slice lengthwise between the kernels and cob, removing just the kernels. Add to bowl with the other slaw ingredients. Stir to combine.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Season both sides of chicken with salt & pepper. When oil is hot, add chicken to skillet and cook about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate and keep warm while cooking the black bean patties.
- While chicken is cooking, rinse and drain beans. In a second mixing bowl, mash beans with the back of a fork or a potato masher to a coarse texture. Add patty seasoning, chickpea flour, salt & pepper and mix to combine. Form patties from black bean mixture, using about ¼ cup of the mix. (You want a relatively thick patty – about 2 per person.)
- Using the same skillet you cooked chicken in, heat a small amount of oil over medium heat. When hot, add bean patties. Cook in a single layer (in batches if necessary) 2-4 minutes per side, or until crispy on exterior and hot inside.
- Slice chicken and serve with black bean patties topped with charred-tomato salsa, and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy corn slaw on the side.