Contents of your meal kit:
dried porcini mushrooms
cremini mushrooms (sliced)
balsamic vinaigrette base
Cookware needed: large stockpot, microwave-safe bowl, medium to large nonstick skillet, salad bowl
- Put a large stockpot of water on to boil for pasta. Continue with next steps, while waiting for water to boil.
- Rinse dried mushrooms to remove any grit, and place in a microwave-safe bowl. Add water (see note) and microwave for 2 or 3 minutes until boiling. Stir, and let stand 10 minutes. Continue with next steps.
- Heat a small amount of olive oil in a nonstick skillet over med-high heat. Add fresh cremini mushrooms and onions. Saute 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After soaking for 10 minutes, remove porcini mushrooms from hot water, reserving liquid. Roughly chop porcini mushrooms, and add to the skillet with other ingredients. Add mushroom liquid to the skillet (if you see any grit in the liquid, you can pour through a fine mesh strainer lined with a paper towel). Stir in herb mix and simmer until liquid has reduced and slightly thickened.
- When water for pasta is boiling, add a generous amount of salt to season the water. Add pasta and cook 3-5 minutes, or until al dente (gluten free pasta will take longer). Strain pasta, and add to the skillet with mushroom ragout, tossing to combine. If it looks a little dry, add a drizzle of olive oil or a pat of butter.
- Pour vinaigrette base into the bottom of your salad bowl and add an equal amount of olive oil. Whisk or mix with a fork to combine. If this looks like too much dressing, remove some before adding the greens. Toss gently and season with salt & pepper to taste.
Notes: When recipe calls for water use: 2 cups for 2 portions, 3 cups for 4 portions, and 4 cups for 6 portions.