Contents of your meal kit:
kung pao sauce
bell pepper mix
chili flakes (optional)
Cookware needed: mixing bowl, small or medium saucepan, medium or large skille
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Place in a mixing bowl along with the kung pao sauce. Stir to coat the chickpeas, and set aside to marinate, stirring the mixture from time to time.
- Place quinoa in a saucepan, and add enough water to come ¼-inch above the quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to the lowest setting. Simmer 10-15 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice scallion. Dice bell pepper into ½-inch pieces. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces and season with salt & pepper.
- When quinoa is done remove from heat, keep covered, and let sit at least 5 minutes before adding the sliced scallion and fluffing with a fork. Keep covered while you cook the chickpeas.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over med-high heat. When oil is hot, cook chicken to brown the exterior, about 3-4 minutes. Add onion and diced bell pepper. (If you like extra heat, add a big pinch of red pepper flakes.) Cook stirring occasionally until onion is tender and beginning to brown at edges, and the chicken is cooked through. Reduce heat to medium and add chickpeas along with the kung pao sauce, scraping the bowl to get all of the sauce into the skillet. Add water (see notes). Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until chickpeas are warmed through. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- Divide quinoa between serving bowls and top with kung pao. Finish with a sprinkle of peanuts. Enjoy!
Notes: When adding water to the skillet with the kung pao chickpeas, use the following amounts: ¼ for 2 portions, ½ cup for 4 portions, ¾ cup for 6 portions.