Contents of your meal kit:
kung pao sauce
bell pepper mix
chili flakes (optional)
Cookware needed: mixing bowl, small or medium saucepan, medium or large skillet
- Rinse and drain chickpeas. Place in a mixing bowl along with the kung pao sauce. Stir to coat the chickpeas, and set aside to marinate, stirring the mixture from time to time.
- Place quinoa in a saucepan, and add enough water to come ¼-inch above the quinoa. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to the lowest setting. Simmer 10-15 minutes or until all of the water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice scallion. Dice bell pepper into ½-inch pieces. Set both aside.
- When quinoa is done remove from heat, keep covered, and let sit at least 5 minutes before adding the sliced scallion and fluffing with a fork. Keep covered while you cook the chickpeas.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over med-high heat. When oil is hot, add onion and diced bell pepper. (If you’d like the dish to be extra spicy, add a big pinch of red pepper flakes at this point.) Cook stirring occasionally until onion is tender and beginning to brown at edges. Reduce heat to medium and add chickpeas to the skillet along with kung pao sauce, taking care to scrape all the sauce out of the bowl. Add water (see notes). Continue to cook, stirring occasionally until chickpeas are heated through. Taste and season with salt if needed.
- Divide quinoa between serving bowls and top with kung pao chickpeas. Finish with a sprinkle of peanuts. Enjoy!
Notes: When adding water to the skillet with the kung pao chickpeas, use the following amounts: ¼ for 2 portions, ½ cup for 4 portions, ¾ cup for 6 portions.