Contents of your meal kit:
french green (de puy) lentils
onion & bell peppers
charred scallion vinaigrette base
Equipment needed: medium saucepan with lid, baking sheet, medium or large nonstick skillet, mixing bowl
- Preheat oven to 425. Put lentils into a saucepan and cover with 2-3 inches of water. Add the bay leaf, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat. When water for lentils is boiling, reduce heat to low and simmer 10-15 minutes. Continue with the next steps while you are waiting for the water to boil.
- Slice eggplant lengthwise, then into ½-inch slices that resemble half-moons. Thinly slice bell pepper. On a foil-lined baking sheet, toss eggplant, onion, and bell pepper with olive oil (see note), harissa, and salt & pepper. (Vegetables should fit in one layer – use 2 baking sheets if needed.) Once oven has heated, roast for 10 minutes, then toss, and roast another 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Season both sides of chicken with salt & pepper. When oil is hot, add chicken to skillet and cook about 5 minutes per side or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate. When cool enough to handle, slice chicken and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, pour charred scallion vinaigrette base into the bottom of a mixing bowl and add an equal amount olive oil. Whisk or mix with a fork to combine, set aside.
- Check lentils after 10 minutes to test for doneness. Lentils should be tender, but not falling apart. When lentils are done, drain and discard bay leaf. Immediately toss with charred scallion vinaigrette.
- Divide arugula between serving plates and top with warm lentils, roasted vegetables and sliced chicken. Top with crumbled feta. If desired, you can drizzle salad with additional olive oil, and add salt & pepper to taste.
Note: Be generous when adding oil to eggplant for roasting. Eggplant tends to absorb quite a bit.