Contents of your meal kit:
leek, carrot & celery mix
red pepper flakes
chicken soup base
Cookware needed: mixing bowl, large nonstick skillet, large saucepan or stockpot (with lid)
- Finely chop garlic and measure water (see notes). Set both aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, meatball seasoning, and HALF of the pecorino cheese. Keep a small bowl of water near you, and with wet hands, roll heaping tablespoons of the mixture into meatballs. Continue to keep hands damp to prevent the meat from sticking to your fingers.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a nonstick skillet over med-high heat. When oil is hot, add the meatballs in a single layer (work in batches if necessary) and cook 5-6 minutes, turning occasionally. When browned on all sides, remove skillet from heat. Meatballs will finish cooking in the broth later.
- While meatballs are browning, heat a small amount of oil in a saucepan or stockpot over med-high heat. Add leek, carrot, & celery mix and sauté 2-3 minutes or until edges of leek are golden. Add chopped garlic to the saucepan along with a pinch of red pepper flakes (optional). Continue cooking 30-60 seconds longer. Add the water you measured in step 1 and the chicken soup base then cover and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When soup is boiling, add pasta and meatballs. Return lid, reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes. Add zoodles, return to a simmer and continue cooking until pasta and zoodles are both tender, about 3-5 minutes. To finish, stir in spinach and remove from heat.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top with a sprinkle of the remaining pecorino cheese. Enjoy – but please don’t compare to your mom’s chicken soup!
Notes: When recipe calls for water use: 3 cups for 2 portions, 6 cups for 4 portions, 9 cups for 6 portions.